is the view looking North from Armour Heights.
254 Caddy Street 1947 - beside the creek
this house was built by Don and Betty Delong,
the first on Caddy east of the creek. It
is the grey house at the bottom of Beverly
Street in the picture above.
254 Caddy Street 1947 - 1930 Chev
Caddy Street bridge, crossing the creek, would
not be built until the next year. Since Beverly
Street was just a mud path, a short cut could
be taken through a Centre Street neighbour's
Beverly Street from 254 Caddy c1948
house has been built on the corner of Beverly
and McFarlane. Armour Heights construction
began about 4 years later.
Looking East up the Caddy Street hill c1948
the road nor the other Caddy Street houses have
been built. In the field to the right, turnips
were grown for the pigs raised at the Ludgate
Beverly Street looking south from 254 Caddy
summer of 1950 most of the new, wartime houses
had been built. Families with young children
lived in most of them.
Anne Delong on front porch 254 Caddy St 1950 looking east
This photo shows the brand new houses on Caddy Street, looking in an easterly direction.
Caddy Street looking East c1951
This is another photo taken from the driveway of 254 Caddy Street, Don Delong said that houses on the south were poorly built, while those on the north, by a different contractor, were well built.
Betty Delong 1950 254 Caddy
The popular shortcut beside the Creek ever to Euclid Street still exists, to the left of this photo.
245 Caddy front plans - a Halliday Home
house was shipped in semi-assembled sections by
truck from Hamilton
254 Caddy Street - left view, side porch
Each section, labelled A, B and so on . . ., was held together by bolts fitted through the two by fours.
254 Caddy Street - rear view
Typical of houses built after the War, it had two small bedrooms, hardwood floors and asbestos shingled siding.
254 Caddy - right or East side
Although some assembly had been completed at the factory, considerable manual labour was needed to complete the job.
254 Caddy Street - floor plan
Don Delong, the father, held down a full time job, worked overtime at his new trade, and spent every spare moment working on this house.
254 Caddy Street - cross section
Some post war houses were built without basements to save money and time. Or, you could dig it out by hand later on.
McFarlane House 1958
McFarlane family home was torn down for construction of the new Saint
Luke's Church - photo by Jack Lee, just before he demolished the home.
Ashburnham's First Brick Building 1856
building stood on the northwest corner of Hunter Street (then Elizabeth
Street) and Driscoll Terrace.
Site of Ashburnham's First Brick Building
Oats Co. offices have now been built on this
Ashburnham's First Brick Building Cairn
The window or ventilation grate is from the original building.
Ashburnham's First Brick Building Plaque
supervised beach was maintained by the Peterborough
Recreation Department. Children were taught to
swim at this location, and at the Lions Club
Pool south of the Hunter Street Bridge.
Inverlea or Parkhill Rd bridge c 1960
Inverlea or Parkhill Rd bridge 2004
Inverlea or Parkhill Rd bridge c 1960
1959 evening concert starts Nichols Oval
dusk, after the musical segment of the Sunday
evening performance, black and white movies were
projects onto the back wall. Charlie Chaplin
and The Keystone Kops were favoured because they
did not have a sound track. The 16 millimetre
projector's speaker was not powerful enough for
Rotary Park when it was a Quaker owned field
Stu Robertson in Quaker field end of Dufferin
St c1958. Since this time most of the embankments
beside the railway lines have been levelled
for conversion to Rotary Park. In the 50s
and 60s, children played war games or hide
and seek. One boy in the neighbourhood discovered
a dead body near the footbridge on his return
from an early morning hockey practice. The
man had died of natural causes.
Nicholls Oval Memorial Gates 1961
gates were the main entrance to the Park. Traffic
conjestion has forced the closure of these imposing
Trafalger Cottage Demolished 1959
of Rev. Vincent Clementi, later used as a
home for retarded children, contained a set
of public washrooms. After the new washrooms
were built, this 1870s house was demolished.
An old drawing shows its beautiful
gardens and verandas, at the time Reverend
Clementi live there. Vandalism had caused
extensive damage long before the City decided
to destroy the house.
Rotary Park view of Inverlea Bridge April 1961
Evidence of weed control by burning the dead grass can be seen. Today, this area, next to the river bank path, is completly overgrown - see next slide.
Quaker field now Rotary Park looking north to Inverlea April 2004
of Inverlea Bridge is completely obscured
by overgrowth, compared to the same view
taken in 1961 above. However, the same old
dead tree can be seen amidst the new growth.
Quaker Dam and Power House from below c1963
the summer, when water flow diminished, it was
common to see local children swimming in this
Quaker Dam Peterborough c1963
and people shared this walkway before the
current fencing was erected. The nearby footbridge
was not constructed until 1941. It was rebuilt
Quaker Dam end of London St Jan 1961
Quaker Dam end of London St April 2004
Peterborough Light and Power Co in Hazlitts Shingle Mill near east bank current Quaker Dam 1884
building was located on the East City side of
the current dam - the end of Hazlett Street in
those days. A huge pile of sawdust, from making
cedar shingles, remained on the shoreline until
the late 60s. The first electricity in Peterborough
was generated from this building in 1884.